Have you ever had Bananas Foster? It’s a classic, rich dessert made with bananas, rum, a ton of brown sugar, and a little hint of cinnamon.
Sounds good, yeah?
No. It sounds delicious!
Too bad Bananas Foster is really difficult (and slightly dangerous) to make. It involves cooking butter, sugar and rum in a skillet and lighting it on fire. If I tried that, I’d probably burn off my eyebrows…
So here’s a fire-free, healthier version made into an ice cream! It’s sweet, creamy and packed with banana flavor. The cinnamon and vanilla help bring all the flavors together and the caramel drizzle on top adds an extra delicious richness!
Bananas Foster Ice Cream
- 2 bananas
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp rum (optional)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp caramel sauce (I used Homemade Caramel Sauce)
- Peel the bananas, chop them into chunks, then freeze them on a tray in a single layer.
- In a small bowl, stir together the vanilla extract, (optional) rum and cinnamon.
- Fill the Dessert Bullet chute with frozen banana chunks and then add the vanilla/rum/cinnamon mixture.
- Place a serving bowl under the spout, then turn the machine on. Gently press down on the plunger until the ice cream starts to come out. Add the rest of the frozen banana chunks to the chute and run it through the Dessert Bullet.
- Run the ice cream through the Dessert Bullet one more time.
- Serve with the caramel sauce drizzled on top. Enjoy!
Yields 1 large serving.
Feel free to serve the ice cream with an extra dash of cinnamon, some graham crackers, freshly sliced bananas or even some more caramel sauce.
Or all of the above! 😉
-Jessica Stier of Desserts with Benefits