What woman doesn’t love a box of chocolate truffles? Especially since a birthday might be coming up, an anniversary, or even Mother’s Day… (wink, wink!) The truffles that I created are not filled with chocolate, but rather with a healthy option for our calorie counters! I used my Dessert Bullet to make a yummy puree using strawberries. Strawberries are the perfect fruit; they’re juicy, summery and have that natural sweetness so unique to a truffle. Also they are a great super food packed with antioxidants and vitamin C.
After I made the puree, I used an ice-cream scooper to mold it into balls. Then I placed the molded strawberry puree in the freezer for 15 minutes to firm up their shape.
To cover the truffles in chocolate, I melted down chocolate and added a little coconut oil to make it nice and runny. I like using a nice, dark chocolate, especially when making truffles. I find 72% dark chocolate works well. Darker chocolate also promotes good-heart health benefits. Working quickly, dip the strawberries in the melted chocolate, covering all sides.
Next is my favorite part – garnishing them! Use anything you love, you can even be bad with candy such as Butterfinger bars or be healthy with cashews, almonds, or pecans. And since I am in the summer mood and ready for the hot beach, I thought of organic coconut flakes. The white color looks pretty on the dark chocolate, too. Return the truffles to the freezer/refrigerator to firm up. Enjoy…
Coconut Strawberry Truffles
- 8 strawberries (frozen)
- 1/2 cup of chocolate
- a dash of coconut oil
- 1/2 cup of coconut flakes
- Using your Dessert Bullet, add the frozen strawberry slices into the chute and push down to make a puree.
- Let the puree fall into a bowl.
- Using an ice-cream scooper or spoon mold the strawberry puree into 1 inch balls.
- Place strawberry balls in freezer for 15 mins to hold their shape.
- Melt the chocolate and add the coconut oil, stirring together.
- Take the strawberry balls out and dip in the chocolate, covering all sides.
- Immediately dip into the garnish of your choosing. (Coconut flakes, nuts, etc.)
- Place back in freezer to harden up.
- Take out of freezer when ready to eat.
- Let them sit out at room temperature for 5 mins before eating.
Anna O’Steen of Lovely Lady Cakes